Thursday, November 6, 2008

NUMBER 26 - COMPLETED!

#26 - Volunteer at the Polls or for an Election - COMPLETED
November 4, 2008

If you know me at all, you know that I am huge proponent of voting. I love voting, I think it is one of the greatest things we can do, and I believe everyone should vote. It is important. And I love, love, love election day. I find it incredibly exciting and I enjoy going to the polls. I also feel strongly that it is not that difficult to vote - if you can use an iPhone, a Wii, play guitar hero, surf the web, etc., you can get your ass out and vote.

So I signed up through the Lee's Summit Barack Obama office to work election day. I could only work in the morning. Joel went in to his work late so that he could take Abby to school at 9:00. I arrived at the office about 8:30. From about 9:00 until noon, I drove four people to the polls to vote. That may not sound like a lot, but it took a long time. I would go pick one up, take them to their voting place, wait with them, then drive them home. Then I'd go back to the office to get my next assignment.

It was amazingly rewarding. One of the ladies I drove, Jene (pronounced "genie") was 82, tiny, was on oxygen, and cussed a blue streak. I adored her. She needed my help walking, standing in line, and reading her ballot. She talked to everyone in line. She lived in a tiny studio with her Shi Tzu, Sophie, across from John Knox Village.

We had to stand in line about 40 minutes and even though she had her travel oxygen with her, she was full of energy and humor. We met Will Kraus, who was running for State Rep. When he asked for our vote, she asked him if he was Republican or Democrat. After he answered "Republican", she replied, "Get the hell away from me!" Did I mention that I adored her? (He won, by the way.)

I was awed by all of the elderly people I saw using walkers, scooters, canes; who had colostomy bags, IVs, oxygen, etc.; who couldn't drive or walk on their own yet they found a way to vote. They wanted their voices heard.

It was a wildly inspiring morning. I hope to do it again in future elections.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! And wow...what a cool experience.